Saturday 18 September 2010

Ten Questions with Andrew Collins


Here in my second interview I have the author, broadcaster and lover of all things 1983 Andrew Collins. First off I would like to thank you for your time and indulgence.
 
Waylander101: Hi, hows things with you right now?

Andrew: Bit of gyp from where a bit of one of my teeth came out, but I'm not one to complain; I tend to keep calm and carry on.

Waylander101: Can you give a brief resume for anyone not familiar with you?

Andrew: Brief is difficult. Studied graphic design and illustration at college, spent a year living off freelance illustration work, grew tired of the soulless nature of the work, made my own fanzine, sent it to the NME, landed a part-time job at the NME laying out pages, eventually hassled my way into writing some reviews, worked my way up to writing features, applied for and got the Features Editor job, resigned, went to Select magazine as Features Editor, around this time landed regular work on Radio 1 with Stuart Maconie and then our first comedy series on Radio 5, became Features Editor of Q magazine, then Editor of Empire magazine, then Editor of Q magazine, by which time had weekly show on Radio 1 with Stuart, which led to weekly film review show on ITV, left Q to go freelance, started writing script for Family Affair, then EastEnders, became host of Radio 4's new film programme Back Row, commissioned to write first sitcom with Simon Day, called Grass, offered post of Film Editor on Radio Times, left R4, joined all-new 6 Music, left 6 Music five years later, having co-created and written Not Going Out with Lee Mack, started monthly column in Word, started podcast with Richard Herring ... still Film Editor of RT and columnist with Word, and recently wrote one episode for series four of Not Going Out. That's kind of where I am today

Waylander101: Snickers or Marathon?

Andrew: Neither. Bad tooth

Waylander101: How was childhood?

Andrew: Normal and lovely. It left me with no emotional scars. Northampton raised me, and raised me well. Even though I defected to London aged 19, my family are all still there, and I enjoy having come from there. I was lucky to grow up in the early 70s, before paranoia ruined childhood and Thatcher fucked up education, and before parents were their kids' "best friend."

Waylander101: Your plan for the zombie apocalypse?

Andrew: Kill myself

Waylander101: What is it like working with Richard Herring?

Andrew: A joy. Neither of us would do it otherwise

Waylander101: Have you enjoyed your foray into stand-up?

Andrew: I have enjoyed it, but I couldn't do it for a living; way to emotionally and physically draining for a man over 40

Waylander101: So, the Mitfords; where did your fascination come from?

Andrew: I simply read the book Letters Between Six Sisters, edited by Charlotte Mosley and fell in love with their individual voices, which come through in their letters. Then I read pretty much every other book I could lay my hands on, many of them out of print. I own the Mitford Sisters. I hate the aristocracy, but I love the Mitfords. Dichotomy!

Waylander101: Have you ever seen Lion Man again?

Andrew: Never. He may never have existed. Although he is immortalised in the fantastic remixes and videos by Nathan Jay. If you haven't seen them, look them up on YouTube. And then give him some money, as he did these for free

Waylander101: Anything you want to plug?

Andrew: Depends how quickly you get this up, but three podcast gigs with Richard:


Thanks for that Andrew.  My next 'Ten Questions with. . . ' will be on Thursday with TozOL of the CrankyGamers podcast and web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment